Viewing of Sharks in Their Habitat
We have purposely chosen to avoid the mass market route and only take small groups making African Shark Eco-Charters the perfect choice when choosing a shark cage diving operator.
Love great white sharks? Want to go on a shark cage diving or breaching trip with people that shares your love for them, then look no further! We are a top shark cage diving company operating in False Bay, experts since 1996. We specialize in shark cage diving, breaching, viewing and filming trips. Great White sharks are our life and our love and we are privileged to be able to share our passion and our knowledge with you.
· We are a first rate shark cage diving company and shark expert and owner Rob Lawrence personally takes a majority of the tours.
· Our testimonies and being the first choice to many of the top safari companies in SA, Namibia and Botswana speak for themselves.
· In False Bay we are the only company who you can scuba dive in our shark diving cage. Others make you “hold your breath or snorkel.”
· We operate from Simon’s Town, only 45 min from Cape Town. Why drive hours away to go shark cage diving?
· We dive 4 in a shark cage. Don’t be one of 8 in the shark cage!
· In peak season, you can experience great white shark cage diving and breaching.
· Eco-sensitive. Your shark cage diving trip is managed in an ethical, socially responsible manner.
· We only take small groups on our boat. We won’t squeeze in another guest, promise!
· We cater for 5-10 day great white shark cage diving trips, photographers, film documentaries & film shoots.
Vital Information: We offer a 100% refund, if we cancel a trip.
- Duration: The morning AIRJAWS or morning cage diving trip is from from 7am until 11.30 The afternoon trip is +- 12h00 to 16h30
- Max # of participants: Children over the age of 10 yrs are welcome. As the trips are long, it is very unpleasant for little children to be out at sea for more than a few hours.
- What should I wear? Peak cap, Waterproof jacket, Jersey, Sunglasses, Sunscreen, Towel ( optional). Sensible shoes for a boat, Beanie and scarf
- No. participants: Children over the age of 10 yrs are welcome. As the trips are long, it is very unpleasant for little children to be out at sea for more than a few hours.
- Spectators: Many guests surface view only. Our boat is specially designed for surface viewing and photography, and we have an upper viewing deck on the boat as well. Yes, it is the same price as the price is per head space.
- Other Info: We can arrange a pick up for you in the city area. This is an extra service and not included in the price.
- Value for Money:
- Disabled Friendly: No
- Family Friendly: Yes
- Team Building Facilities: No
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
Shark Cage Diving in Simons Town
We offer two main shark cage diving trips. AM shark diving combo airjaws trip and the PM shark diving trip. Both offer shark cage diving with scuba.
“AIRJAWS” Shark Breaching Trip – Simon’s Town
What is AIRJAWS Shark Breaching? Shark Breaching is one of the hunting techniques that great white sharks use to surprise and kill its prey. They breach with such force and explosive energy that it propels the shark right out of the water. The best time is just before and at sunrise and mainly at certain areas around the island and only for a few months of the year.
Afternoon Shark Cage Diving Trip – Simon’s Town
During our afternoon shark cage diving trip you will be able to see the Great White Sharks from a point blank range and the best part is that this trip revolve around shark cage diving. No diving experience is necessary.
Shark Cage Diving Cape Town in Gansbaai
Shark cage diving Cape Town – Gansbaai ( 2.5 hrs from Cape Town), is done in a narrow channel called Shark Alley, which is the open stretch of water between Dyer Island and nearby Geyser Island.
Five day Shark trip
Over the years we have found our 5 day shark trip to be an incredibly popular package, especially among photographers and Great White enthusiasts, and for those guests who don’t have the opportunity for a full 10 days. Spend 5 days focusing on observing the unique Great White Shark “AIRJAWS” breaching and natural hunting behaviour on cape fur seals.
10 Day Great White Shark Tours
The 10 day shark trip is for the serious photographers and film makers, or those who have a passion for the Great White Shark and just want to spend time getting to know and understand them. On these trips you will get to recognize the sharks, and perhaps even get to name one! Don’t just dream of taking awesome shark pictures…..do it! Wake up every day knowing you are going to spend another day with the great white sharks in their natural habitat.
Blue Water Predator Trips – Simon’s Town
This adventurous trip takes you 15-25 miles off Cape Point in search of pelagic sharks such as the magnificent Mako and Blue Sharks.
Cow Shark Diving Trip – Simon’s Town
These rarely seen sharks are extremely special. There is no were else in the world where they can be so easily accessed as in False Bay. They are found in between the shallow kelp forests in Marine Protected reef areas. As the average depth I s only 12 metres, shark diving with Cow Sharks is easy and fun. Divers can go and enjoy the reef life, see four different species of Cat Shark, and even spotted Gully Sharks.
Shark Cage Diving
Shark Cage Diving is one of the main reasons that people come to Cape Town. And shark cage diving is what we offer!
False Bay Shark Cage Diving Trips: Feb-Sept. See Gansbaai trips for Oct-Jan
Below is information on False Bay.
In False Bay we offer two main shark cage diving trips. AM shark diving and the PM shark diving trip (AIRJAWS trips in season) Both offer shark cage diving with scuba.
What makes shark cage diving with African Shark Eco-Charters different?
Well, lots of things, but the actual shark cage diving WITH scuba on our boat is what sets us firmly apart. We offer our shark cage diving with scuba. Guests often reveal to us, especially after they dive, how they can’t imagine as incredible of an adventure if you have to breathe hold while in the cage.
It may seem trivial, but I promise, it’s not. On our trips you can stay shark cage diving for a full twenty minutes, and even have another go after everyone who wants to get in the water has gone once. To be able to stay submerged and not have to come up for air is amazing.
You can really settle in and get a full sense of how the great white sharks move through their environment so effortlessly.
You will be astonished how these sharks can just appear and disappear in the underwater gloom. It’s amazing how such a large animal can be so stealthy! And the best part is you won’t have to come up for air right when they make a turn directly in front of the cage!
Shark Cage Diving-Simon’s Town
The adventure begins in Simon’s Town, just 1 hour from Cape Town. A 20 minute boat ride will take you to Seal Island False Bay.
The cage floats just under the surface of the water, and it is situated alongside the boat. We are the only one to offer scuba diving on all our trips. No experience needed all scuba equipment stays on board and only the scuba hose enters the cage. You are welcome to snorkel as well if you don’t wish to scuba dive.
The crew is highly trained and safety is of utmost importance for your shark cage diving trip.
IMPORTANT- Please Note: We have a very high success rate, but we are working with wild animals. Please be aware of this, so you do not arrive with unrealistic expectations. Shark sightings and activity are never guaranteed and even during peak season there may be days when the sightings are lower than expected. No refunds will be made for non-sightings. We will however offer you a voucher for another trip.
“AIRJAWS” Shark Breaching Trip – Simon’s Town
The “AIRJAWS” shark breaching trip is the most popular. It is a combination trip of shark breaching and shark cage diving. The season for AIRJAWS starts in May.
Shark Breaching is one of the hunting techniques that great white sharks use to surprise and kill its prey. They breach with such force and explosive energy that it propels the shark right out of the water. The best time is just before and at sunrise and mainly at certain areas around the island and only for a few months of the year.
This behaviour is absolutely awesome to witness in person, and if you are in Cape Town during shark season, then this trip is a “must do”. It is seen nowhere on the planet as regularly as in False Bay and by joining us on one of our AIRJAWS trips you may be lucky enough to witness a breaching great white shark “AIRJAWS” for yourself.
Shark Breaching starts to be seen around mid-April and the best months for the predation and breaching activity are during June, July and August. September is in between high and intermediate season. February and March is too early for breaching. Here our trips focus on the shark cage diving and surface viewing. The trip departs from Simon’s town at 7am sharp and returns at 11h30.
What to bring
· Rain/wind jacket
· Sun block and Hat
· Camera (we sell disposable underwater cameras)
· Take sea sick tablets
Please Note: We have a very high success rate, however with all wild animals, shark sightings, activity, predation events and shark breaching can vary from day to day. Even during peak season there may be days when we do not see any breaching or predatory events.
Please be aware of this, so you do not arrive with unrealistic expectations. Rather come hoping to see these natural events, than expecting. No refunds will be made for non-sightings. We will however offer you a voucher for another trip.
Filming with Rob Lawrence
Rob is one of the most experienced field persons involved in all areas of the white shark cage diving and viewing industry in South Africa and has possibly seen more natural predation of great white sharks on cape fur seals than anyone in the world today. Rob has traveled to California and Mexico to observe great white sharks.
African Shark Eco-Charters has been extensively involved with many international film crews helping facilitate close to 50 documentaries and films, the biggest ever being “Oceans” by Galetee Productions which took over 4 years to make.
Rob Lawrence, owner of African Shark Eco- Charters has worked with the Discovery Channel, National Geographic, the BBC Natural History unit and Animal Planet.
Working every year on film shoots, Rob and his crew are extremely experienced and much sought after in the filming industry when it comes to filming great white sharks.
Highly sought after for our professionalism and experience, we can certainly help you with all your filming requirements.
Rob has been featured in several of these productions and his video footage and photography of this incredible behaviour has been seen all over the world.
Working with us includes:
· Shark expert Rob Lawrence.
· A experienced team who is used to the film industry.
· Technical advice on filming with great white sharks and aboard the shark boat. Rob is an experienced camera man and a lot of his personal shark footage has been aired on major productions.
· Marine Biologist.
· Dive Master.
· Shark cage diving on scuba gear. No experience is needed.
We have worked on close to 50 documentaries. Here is a list of a few of the productions Rob and the ASEC team has worked on.
· Shark Coast – Simon King
· Shark Summer
· Sharks on Trial
· Ultimate Killers – Steve Leonard
· Nigel Marvin Shark Special
· Robo Shark
· Sensitive sharks
· Sharks of the South African Coast
· Perfect Predators: in production 2009
· Earthflight: Season 1 episode 2
· 25th anniversary of Jaws 1999 – “Great White Deep Trouble” with peter Benchley, author of Jaws
· Kill Zone
· Mission Wild – South Africa
· Cape of Predators
· Hunter Hunted
· Jeff Corwin Experience
· Kratt Brothers – BE The Creature
· Air Jaws: Sharks of South Africa – The most successful and popular shark document ever made by the Discovery Channel seen by millions of viewers around the world and still popular eight years after production. Rob Lawrence was the productions co-coordinators for this production which subsequently led to countless other productions for South Africa.
· Mythbusters shark special
· Great White Appetite
· Surviving Sharks with Les Stroud
· Rough Science
· Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
· We also facilitated one of the biggest French productions ever: Oceans for Galetee Productions
· Carte Blanche
· Top Billing
· 60 minutes USA with Bob Simon
As well as several local productions and reality shows and local celebrities such as Rob Van Vuuren.
Dhani Tackles the Globe: Dhani Tackles the Globe is an American documentary television series hosted by NFL linebacker Dhani Jones of the Cincinnati Bengals, currently airing on the Travel Channel; the series follows Jones around the globe as he learns how to play international sports and simultaneously explores the culture of each location.
Shop WC13 Quayside Centre, Boardwalk Building, Wharf Road, Simonstown
No directions available
S 34° 11' 34.76'' E 18° 25' 56.182''