Learn To Fly!
Committed to providing the highest standard of flight training available for those wishing to work towards their private or commercial Licence.
Choosing a flight schoolChoice of the right flight training school is the first step on your way to becoming a competent Private Pilot or Professional Pilot and is one of the most important decisions you will take.There is no casual approach to learning to fly, and a successful flying career is only possible by sourcing the best possible training during the formative hours of aviation training.It is the core objective of CTFTC to provide the best possible foundation for our student pilots from Day 1. We will take no shortcuts, and we will leave nothing to chance.Flight SafetyYour safety is of paramount importance and it will not be compromised at Fisantekraal: no wake turbulence or jet-wash from airliners and no limiting noise abatement procedures. Four certified and Licenced concrete runways are wide, comparatively long and accept all prevailing wind directions. All runway overshoots have safe emergency landing areas.Unlike some training organizations, CTFTC does not utilize non-certified (experimental) aircraft for your flight training. CTFTC utilizes only aircraft which are fully certified by the FAA (USA) and the SACAA (South Africa). This brings you the protection of the same controls over aircraft construction and maintenance standards that are applied to large commercial aircraft.
- From 0 to 0
We are a flexible organization and can accommodate individual requirements ranging from full-time study to programs tailored to training only at weekends. In our initial briefing, we will provide an estimate of the length of time your individual course will take, based upon your specific requirements and constraints. A full-time student can obtain the PPL in 4-6 weeks; the CPL in 10 months. The actual duration of your training will be largely up to your self-application.
- The minimum age requirements for obtaining a Pilot’s Licence are determined by the CAA and are currently 17 years for a Private Pilot Licence (PPL) and 18 years for a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL). However, you may obtain a Student Pilots Licence at the age of 16.
- You will need to book all flight training in advance so we can assign a pilot to you.
- We will require a deposit to be paid prior to completion of the enrolment process, at least two weeks prior to starting training. For overseas students, the enrolment will need to be completed prior to Study Visa application, so the time required for this process in your individual home country will need to be taken into account.
- Fair Deal
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
You may be paying your own way. You may be sponsored by parents. You may be lucky enough to be commercially sponsored. Although there is no minimum educational requirement to get started, you will already have a high standard of self-discipline, a strong sense of responsibility and be dedicated to your goals. Contact us if you want the very best in flying training
CTFTC is committed to providing the highest standard of flight training available for those wishing to work towards their private or commercial Licence.
We also offer a comprehensive range of services to qualified aviators who are interested in advancing their ability or simply keeping their Licences current.
At CTFTC you will be personally guided through each stage of your training programme – from the first, introductory flight – all the way through to the day you receive your qualification.
Your training course will be customized according to your own time and financial constraints. Through the example set by our highly professional instructors, we wish to inspire each and every student to continually strive to improve his/her competency, either as a recreational or professional pilot.
We hope this website provides you with all you need to know about us. However, we would love for you to come and visit us at Fisantekraal, discuss your objectives in person, and perhaps take an Introductory Flight to experience what flying is all about.
We look forward to meeting you!
We put you first
We promise personal attention. Your course of training will be tailored around your time availability and your financial constraints.
We take you further
No shortcuts will be taken in preparing you to meet and exceed the required standards. PPL candidates will follow the same ab-initio syllabus as those going on to professional flying. Participate in our WINGMAN Programme to get the most from your professional training. Join the flying elite through our PPL PLUS programme. If you’re serious about flying like we are, then CTFTC is the only proper choice.
We save you time
Flying training is absolutely constrained by weather conditions. However, very often and by merit of our location at Fisantekraal, we keep flying when most other facilities suffer from coastal fog. By merit of the multiple runway configurations at Fisantekraal, we keep flying when safe training at other, single runway facilities must stop due to strong crosswinds.
We save you money
You will spend less training with CTFTC at Fisantekraal airfield. Here’s why-
– No costly holding for large commercial traffic
– We’re situated right next to Cape Town International for when it’s time to expose you to mixed traffic
and complete Instrument Flying training. No costly time wasted in transit.
– We’re also situated right next to the General Flying Area: again, no costly time wasted in transit.
One Stop Shop
At CTFTC you will find everything you need to go all the way to the Multi-Engine CPL/IR.
Our facilities include:
– A fully equipped and Licenced online examination room, where students can write their PPL,
night rating and instructor’s exams.
– A flight shop where students can purchase all necessary equipment and books required
during their training.
– The Wingman Programme is for all professional licenses and ratings.
– You will pair up with a student at the same phase of training and fly all instructional sorties,
when possible, and attend all briefings, together.
– This provides the student with twice the training and therefore accelerates learning to ensure the student
passes flight tests first time, leading to better and quicker employment opportunities.
Your safety is of paramount importance and it will not be compromised at Fisantekraal: no wake turbulence or jet-wash from airliners and no limiting noise abatement procedures. Four certified and Licenced concrete runways are wide, comparatively long and accept all prevailing wind directions. All runway overshoots have safe emergency landing areas.
It is an uncontrolled airfield with light traffic. This means that no costly time is wasted on the ground or in the air waiting for commercial traffic.
The general flying area (GF) is a designated area for flight training. FAFK is situated adjacent to the General Flying Area and so lessons can be completed without additional and costly transit time.
Holding time and transit time costs suffered by students operating from other Licenced Training airfields in the area can add up to 30% to the cost of your PPL.
FAFK is a Licenced airfield, thus allowing students to fly solo.
Fisantekraal is situated adjacent to the Cape Town International Airport zone, which allows our students to quickly fly into a controlled area for flight experience with Air Traffic Control.
Flight training is absolutely constrained by weather conditions.
By merit of the multiple runway configurations at Fisantekraal, flying in stronger wind conditions is possible, when single-runway airfields are unable to operate due to crosswind limitations. –
Often, and by merit of our location, we continue flying when other airfields in the area suffer from coastal fog.
Back in 2003, the clear need for a high quality and cost-effective environment for professional flying training in the Cape Town area was the motivation for setting up Cape Town Flight Training Centre (CTFTC) at Fisantekraal Airfield.
From the first day of operation, CTFTC has offered and continues to offer, the most professional and cost-effective flight training in the Western Cape.
From small beginnings, the school has gone from strength to strength. We now boast a staff of 11 people including 5 full-time instructors and a fleet of eight aircraft. All aspects of private and commercial flying training are catered for, including aerobatics instruction.
Our safety record through the entire period of operation is unblemished – a testament to the professionalism of the organization and our staff.
Many of our former pupils, having achieved their qualifications with CTFTC, have gone on successfully to take positions in the aviation industry as pilots. We invite you to our former pupils’ page for more details.
– The Cessna C150 is a tricycle gear general aviation aircraft designed for flight training.
– The C150 is a very stable and slow pace aircraft, two features that are ideal for a fresh student.
– Since the late 1950’s the C150 has been a top seller, making it the most well-known training aircraft.
Private Pilot Licence Training.
Diamond DA20-C1 Eclipse
The Diamond DA20 is a modern, high-efficiency two-seat light aircraft designed specifically for flight training. It is a type certified aircraft with supplementary approval for night flying and spinning.
Our aircraft are equipped with state-of-the-art glass cockpit instrumentation. The US Air Force operates a fleet of 35 DA20-C1 Eclipse aircraft within its Cadet training scheme.
Private Pilot Licence, Night Rating, and Instrument Rating.
Piper PA-28 Cherokee/Warrior
– Good controllability and stability make these aircraft a firm favorite.
– The impressive range and endurance on this aircraft make it ideal for long navigation flights.
– Training on the Warrior makes the conversion onto the Arrow easier due to the similar cockpit layout
Private Pilot Licence and Instrument Training.
Piper PA28R-200 Arrow
– In 1967, Piper introduced the PA-28-180 Arrow.
– This has a constant-speed propeller and retractable landing gear, required for your commercial test.
– The Arrow’s high stability and performance makes it an ideal complex trainer.
Commercial Pilots Licence and Instrument Training.
Piper PA34-200T Seneca II
Commercial Pilots Licence and Instrument Training.