Still the Best Way to Experience The Kowie…
Experience the beauty and tranquility of the Kowie River from your own self-drive houseboat!
Be your own captain while you explore an unspoiled vista around every bend. The river meanders past towering cliffs covered with indigenous vegetation and private game reserves with gentle giant giraffes and birds abound.
Plan you perfect fishing trip with family or friends, romantic escape with someone special or just a day our on the water to enjoy the sun and fresh air.
“Cob Hole” and “Mansfield Game Reserve” are two popular places to overnight. For security reasons we suggest that you do not anchor near the side of the river where burglars could wade to the boat. Should you however prefer to overnight near land, your boat can be tied to its jetty where you can spend the night in the harbour.
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
Want to experience the Kowie River like never before? Enquire about a day trip to explore the river and the secret vistas that unfold around every bend.
Fun things to do on a day trip:
Fish with the family. Kid’s love fishing from the boat as they don’t have to cast far.
Tan on the sundeck, whilst enjoying the peace and quiet that only nature offers.
Visit Mansfield Game Reserve. Have a braai, swim in the pool next to the river and relax while the kids play on the jungle gyms and trampolines. Book a game drive (enquire with us) or have a meal at Black Rock Restaurant (December only). You might just get a surprise visit from Gambit the giraffe!
Swim in the river. The water is nice and warm upstream.
Have a braai on the boat. Cook a freshly caught fish or take some meat with on the trip. Weber braai and utensils supplied.
Catch giant crabs! Biggest you have seen. Great fun to catch with crab lines, and even greater eating. Careful the pincers.
Take binoculars! Bird and game viewing at its best. Look out for the giraffes at Mansfield game reserve, especially Gambit, the keeper of the reserve.
Don’t want to come home? Call us and upgrade to a night out on the water.
Fishing up a storm!
Why go home when the sun sets? The big ones bite at night, so get ready for great fishing between dusk and dawn and find that perfect cove along the cliffs where the deep holes harbour the big fish!
Tailing grunter, chasing leerie and hungry cob await those anglers who are willing to take advice from our famous fishing partners the Alcock Brothers. Give them a call or visit their shop in Port Elizabeth and get great advice from guys who specialize in fishing our Eastern Cape Rivers and estuaries.
*Fishing permits required – get yours from the local post office.
Treat that someone special to a romantic night out on the water… Reconnect, find each other again and return recharged and ready to take on life and all its challenges.
Book our Couples Getaway package for 2 nights on the water, and we will include a bottle of champers and a snack basket.
Teach her (or him) to fish, or view game, take photos and explore every private nook and cranny on the picturesque Kowie River. Ask us about Black Rock Restaurant (December) and game drives at Mansfield Game Reserve to end a perfect day with your loved one.
94 Things to Do Along the Sunshine Coast Bucket List
1. Rent a House Boat for a night of fishing or romancing on the Kowie – 083 461 3849 or 060 649 7530
2. Play golf at the Royal PA Golf Club – 046 624 4796
3. Find that special piece @ “Woodstock”- second hand and re-purposed furniture and smalls – sample their organic vegetables, fresh from the farm. 65 Bathurst Str, PA
4. Spoil yourself, have a full body massage at the River Spa – 046 604 3358
5. Go on a nature walk, Port Alfred to Fish River Mouth – 082 391 0647
6. Take the ‘poor man’s game drive’ by car, 12km west from Kenton (Ngcyo turn-off) through 5 game reserves. Ends back on R72.
7. Visit Spargs on the Wharf for stunning antiques, 2nd hand furniture and bric a brac.
8. Walk on the piers in Port Alfred – Mind the waves!
9. Take golf lessons at Royal PA Golf Course (046 624 4796)
10. You are VERY hungry, why not enjoy a flame-grilled steak or chicken at Tahoe Spur, PA – 046 624 5330
11. Visit Stix’s Second Hand Shop next to Penny Pinchers. You’re guaranteed to find a bargain! – 078 051 1155
12. Challenge a friend to a game of pool – Kenny’s Pub, 32 Cambell Str, PA – 079 766 6447
13. Book a river cruise on the Spirit of Adventure at the Halyards Hotel, PA – 0861 748 374
14. Go fishing from the rocks – Remember to get a permit at the Port Alfred Post Office
15. Pop into “Marko Polo” for the best prices and after-sales service on appliances and furniture, PA – 046 624 3419
16. Wet your whistle at the “Pig and Whistle” in Bathurst, the oldest pub in the country – 046 625 0673
17. Be surprised at the wide range of quality second hand and revamped furniture and smalls @ 2nd Best Furnishers, Campbell St. Port Alfred.
18. Spend a day in Grahamstown, visit the Observatory and take pictures of the lovely Chapels.
19. Bird watching with professional Anne Williams – 046 675 1976 or 083 719 4950
20. Take the family on a Houseboats day trip up the Kowie – 083 461 3849
21. Visit Quinn Sculpture Garden in Alexandria – 046 653 0121 or 082 770 8000
22. Build a sand castle at Kelly’s Blue Flag Beach, Port AlfredEnjoy some fresh fish next to the Kowie river at Ocean Basket – 046 624 1727
23. Spend the day at Mansfield Game Reserve, just North of PA. Have a braai and swim in the pool while the kids play in the sun. You may just have a surprise visit from Gambit the giraffe!
24. Aches and pains? Let Chiropractor Dr. Kevin Christie set you right.- 046 624 4867
25. Gifts, décor items and gorgeous sandals await you @Maison Décor, van der Riet Street. 046 624 8095
26. Browse through the stunning range of imported furniture @ Begin with the end in Mind – van der Riet Street 046 624 8095
27. Visit Dias Cross near Boknesstrand. Go by car or walk along the bay from Boknes lagoon. Take water.
28. Take a boat cruise up the Kowie on board the Lady Biscay – 073 162 1611
29. Go for a guided nature hike along renowned routes – 0824655677 or 0828690465
30. Play a game of bowls at the Kowie Sports & Bowling Club – 046 624 4732
31. Hike along a beautiful & marked trail through an exquisite game farm outside Bathurst – 082 494 3025
32. Visit Horns Up Restaurant and River Pub (December only) via boat or car, 5km up the Kariega river from the Kenton slipway
33. Buy a bicycle, and get advice on local cycling trails from Cycle Asylum, PA – 046 624 8358
34. Revitalise that tired sofa or chair…. get Kowie upholsterers to Work their magic for you, PA – 073 541 1338
35. You are hungry again, and feel like a famous Wimpy Burger (free delivery) on the R72, PA – 046 624 2240
36. Spoil that special someone with an unexpected flower delivery, or pop into “Forever Flowers” and select a bouquet for your home, Rosehill Mall P.A – 046 624 1148
37. Take a step back in time and visit the Wharf Str. Brew Pub (PA’s Top Restaurant as per Trip Advisor) – 046 624 4947
38. Book a brewery tour, or try our local brew at our very own Little Brewery in Wharf Str, PA – 046 624 8692
39. Book a romantic couples game drive at Mansfield Game Reserve, PA –
40. For a floating good time, visit the Sandbar floating restaurant in Bushman River – 046 648 2450
41. Enjoy a wood-fired pizza at Guido’s, overlooking the Kowie river mouth, PA – 046 624 5264
42. Go and enjoy some “Tapas and a Cocktail “ at Penny Farthing – 046 624 1073
43. Go for a meal, game drive or spa treatment at Oceana Beach & Wildlife Reserve, PA – 083 616 0605
44. 52. For Excellent advice and installation of Satellite and A/V systems – call Satman 083 456 3507
45. Break away for a relaxing weekend at Glen Boyd – 076 073 1944.
46. Take a dip in the heated indoor swimming pool at Soetbev, PA – 046 624 5004 or 076 485 0896
47. See the world’s biggest pineapple at Summerhill Farm in Bathurst – 046 625 0833
48. Visit Relix & Things for all your antiquities and oddities in Bathurst – 076 349 2246
49. Visit the rabbits, buy colour changing candles and have a coffee at The Stables Centre, Bathurst.
50. Book a Mani or Pedi at Enchante Beauty Salon, PA – 082 713 8305
51. Get your hubby that torch or hunting knife that he always wanted at Quest, PA – 046 624 2241
52. Feel like some wine tasting and a late lunch – Café Reset in Wharf street.
53. Visit the Fishing Academy for local bait advice and tackle rental – 083 482 8503
54. Have a picnic on a quiet beach near Rugged Rocks, PA
55. Get someone a bonsai for Christmas, at Red Leaf Nursery, PA – 046 624 8530
56. Treat your house with some beautiful furniture – Sparg’s Furnishers -046 624 1722
57. Climb a tree – when last did you climb a tree?
58. Explore the dunes at Boesmansriviermond and discover the secret Shelly Bay in Kenton, a must do!
59. Get a snorkel and goggles and explore some of the huge pools around Rugged Rocks, PA
60. Play paintball in a bush setting, or book a paintball party. PA – 083 956 5973
61. Take your dogs for a walk on the beach. Remember your leash (its law), and please clean up after them.
62. Visit the Royal St Andrews Hotel, Restaurant and Spa, PA – 046 624 1036
63. Update your blinds – call “Hide n Shade” 046 624 4131
64. Have a riverside braai at the Pig Pens near the Kowie River mouth, PA
65. Rent a canoe at the Halyards Hotel and paddle or fish up river, PA – 0861 748 374
66. Sort out your tackle box and get some drop-shot lures and tackle from Sports n All, PA – 046 624 5498
67. Rainy or windy? Rent a DVD from Palms Video, get some popcorn and wait for the bad weather to blow over. PA -046 624 2182
68. Visit “Curiosity Shoppe” in Bathurst for unusual gifts and African Curios – 046 625 0066
69. Feeling Hungry? Go and have a wood fire pizza at Guido’s, PA
70. Book and get your Skippers License from the PA Fishing Academy – 083 482 8503
71. Get a puzzle from Holiday Puzzles, one of the largest collections south of the Big Pineapple! PA – 082 810 7273
72. Explore the caves along the train track next to the police station, PA
73. Book a session in the Tan Can at Enchante Beauty Salon, PA – 082 713 8305
74. For all your curtaining, blinds and haberdashery requirements, PA – Holly House 046 624 4452
75. Take archery lessons and try your hand at 3D archery, PA – 083 452 7088
76. Attend a spinning class at Oxygen Gym, Rosehill Mall, PA – 046 624 1404
77. Enjoy some cake and tea at the Historical Morley House – 046 625 0019.
78. Climb one of the tallest dunes in the area, est 300m east of the Kowie River Mouth. Take drinks!
79. Have a drink next to the pool at Halyards Hotel Bar, PA – 0861 748 374
80. Visit the pigeons and enjoy the food, awesome view and vibe at BBG’s, Bushmans –046 648 3762
81. Get that Tattoo! – let the talented artist @ Inked Ritual bring it to life – 072 395 4674
82. Do some gardening, visit Standerwick Nursery, PA CBD – 046 624 8530
83. Read an old romance novel, available Bookends, PA –
84. Walk along the beach to the HUGE dunes at Kwaaihoek, West of Boesmansriviermond – take a dune board!
85. Beat the stress of how you’re going to pay for the holiday, with a session of relaxation at the River Spa – 046 604 3358
86. Have a picnic in the pristine Alexandria Forest, after driving ‘the Green Mile’. Start at the 4-way at Boknes strand, hook a right.
87. Visit the Port Alfred Museum, and Bathurst Agricultural Museum with its huge collection of old tractors.
88. Walk from Riet River to the 3 Sisters for a picnic and good fishing. It’s quite a walk, so be prepared.
89. Watch all major sporting events on the big screens – Kenny’s Pub, 32 Campbell Str, PA
90. Find local Geocaches, just download the App first.
91. Enjoy a day next to the pool – Halyards Hotel -046 604 3355
92. Visit “ The Fig and Daisy” for a wonderful lunch in the small town of Bathurst – 046 150 0001
93. Enjoy and amazing lunch with Cocktails next to the River – Tash’s
94. Visit Country Meat Market for superb quality meat and biltong – a range of imported pasta and relishes.
Nearest town(s): Port Alfred
1 Albany Road, Port Alfred, 6170, 6170 Port Alfred, South Africa
No directions available
S 33° 35' 38.319'' E 26° 53' 34.596''
Book this adventure now!
1 Select the date you want to have your adventure.
2 Choose the activity and the time.
3 Pay to confirm your booking. You’ll receive a ticket voucher which you can redeem at the venue.
To filter the Adventure Activity you want to book, click on the ‘What’ button below and select the activity you want.