A Tarzan & Jane Adventure...
Three hours to be expertly guided through seven platforms for ages seven to seventy!
The Karkloof Canopy Tour is a unique eco-experience that takes people on a 3-hr adventure through the magnificent Karkloof indigenous forest.
The canopy tour involves traversing from one platform to another along a steel cable suspended up to 30m above the forest floor. The tour comprises seven platforms and eight slides that zig-zag down a pristine forested valley. The scenery and birdlife are spectacular and professional guidesprovide interesting facts about the forest ecology during the tour.
The tour begins with a detailed safety briefing followed by a ‘kitting up’ session where full-body harness, pulleys, and climbing equipment is put on and safety-checked. A short scenic drive to the top of the Karkloof valley and it is time to monkey around!
The Karkloof Canopy Tour consists of seven platforms and eight ‘foefi’ slides, the longest of
which is over 170m! A tour lasts approximately three hours, is suitable for most people between the ages of seven and seventy and includes a delicious Midlands meal served once your group is safely back on ground.
Vital Information: Bookings are essential. Please arrive 15 - 20 minutes before the tour time. We will not wait for late guests. The contact number must be a mobile number, not a landline. No persons under the influence of alcohol (or narcotics) will be allowed to participate in the canopy tour as this is a zero-tolerance adventure activity. Should management suspect a guest of consuming alcohol prior to their tour, they reserve the right to submit the guest to a breathalizer test.
- Price: ~R 650 pp
- Duration: Each tour lasts between 2 – 4 hours, depending which particular Canopy Tour it is and how many people there are in your group. Please arrive 15 - 20 minutes before the tour time.
- Max # of participants: Persons aged from 5 to +80 Minimum 2 and maximum 9 persons per group. If your group is less than 9 persons, there is a possibility that you will be accompanied by other guests on your tour. Bookings for 10 or more people will simply be split into smaller groups that follow one behind the other along the canopy tour.
- Special Offers: Capture your experience on a CD with photographs taken by our guides. Cost of the CD is R150.00
- What should I wear? Please wear comfortable clothes (jeans, shorts, t-shirt). NO skirts or dresses. Closed shoes (takkies or Rocky sandals, no flipflops or plakkies). Bring something warm to wear as the Midlands can become a little nippy. Bring a raincoat in case it rains. We do not cancel tours just because it is wet weather. Sunglasses can be worn (have to fit firmly on the face). Cameras are welcome, but must be carried in the guides’ rug-sack. All bags, rug-sacks, cell phones, keys or any other loose items are to be left in the car or in our office. (At own risk)
- No. participants: Persons aged from 5 to +80 Minimum 2 and maximum 9 persons per group. If your group is less than 9 persons, there is a possibility that you will be accompanied by other guests on your tour. Bookings for 10 or more people will simply be split into smaller groups that follow one behind the other along the canopy tour.
- Spectators: Family/friends not participating in the tour may wait in the coffee shop or garden.
- Availability: Departure times: Every hour from 8:00am to 3:00pm daily.
- Other Info: No cooler boxes with food or beverages are allowed onto the licensed premises. We have a coffee shop on the licensed premises where refreshments may be purchased. We do not offer picnic or braai facilities. We do not cancel tours in misty or rainy weather as this is part of the Midlands experience, except in electrical storms. Indemnities are signed before the briefing. A guardian must sign for any persons under 18. No pregnant women are allowed to partake in the canopy tours, for safety reasons. No firearms are allowed on tour. No gun safes are available on premises. No pets allowed on our premises. No smoking allowed once you’re in your safety equipment and definitely not in our forest.
- Value for Money: Great Deal
- Disabled Friendly: No
- Family Friendly: Yes
- Team Building Facilities: Yes
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
Canopy tours originated in the lush rainforests of Costa Rica where adventurous biologists, desperate to study the diversity of animal life that habituates the upper canopy level of forests, devised a system of cables and platforms that would allow them to explore this previously inaccessible ecosystem.
It wasn’t long before this developed into a breathtaking eco-tourism activity that not only allowed people to enter and experience the upper realm of a rainforest but raised awareness to the plight and beauty of the world’s endangered indigenous forests.
Construction of the Karkloof Canopy Tour has been done in accordance with strict civil engineering standards. The system was designed and constructed by Tree Top Tours, creators of the internationally acclaimed Tsitsikamma Canopy Tour on the Garden Route. A full environmental impact study was undertaken to ensure that the forest ecology would not be harmed in any way. The subsequent environmental management plan was submitted to and then approved by, the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism before construction began.
Safety is paramount and the Karkloof Canopy Tour® uses state of the art climbing and safety equipment. Concept to completion has seen eight months of ducking vines, climbing large trees and carrying heavy cables through the forest. The fun has now begun…
From the start on the launch platform, a new world unfolds as one gently glides on a steel cable to the first platform. All groups are escorted through the forest canopy by a lead guide and a follow guide to ensure your safety as you slide from tree to tree. The platforms are built high up in the forest canopy and all offer different views of the surrounding forest, a magnificent 20m waterfall, clear sparkling forest stream and across the expansive Karkloof valley far below.
Spend a couple of minutes relaxing on the platforms while your guides enthusiastically explain the ecology of the forest – pointing out different trees and the magnificent giant ferns way below. The bird life is incredible. This includes the opportunity of spotting Emerald Cuckoos, Knysna Loeries,a wide variety of raptors, and if you are lucky, the elusive Narina Trogon or endangered Cape Parrot. The forest is also home to a variety of mammals, but it is the loud calls and fearsome tree swinging of the Samago monkeys that you will remember best.
Frequently Asked Questions
We welcome any questions you might have before you book a Canopy Tour and will happily address any of your concerns. Here are the answers to some of the common questions that we receive.
- Is it scary?
Many people are nervous about the prospect of their first Canopy Tour® and some are just plain scared of heights. For those who don’t think they can do it on their own, we offer a tandem tour which allows you to take in the whole experience while safely attached to a guide who controls your speed and ensures your safety. Canopy Tours are certainly not a high adrenaline activity like bungy jumping and we find that most people, even those who are slightly nervous at the start, quickly adapt to the concept and have no problem at all on the slides.
- Who should go on a Canopy Tour?
Canopy Tours are ideal for the nature lovers, individual thrill seeker, family getaways, group or student excursions and corporate team building events.
- How many people in a group?
Maximum of 9 people per group. Bookings for 10 or more people will simply be split into smaller groups that follow one behind the other along the canopy tour. Larger group bookings of up to 150 people per day for corporate and team building events are available on request.
- When is it open?
In general Canopy Tours depart between 8am and 3pm, but these hours are often extended upon demand at summertime. Tours can depart every 30 minutes and are conducted in most weather conditions. Please book in advance to secure your place!
- How long does it take?
Each tour lasts between 2 – 4 hours, depending which particular Canopy Tour it is and how many people there are in your group. Have a look at the About page on the website to understand exactly what happens on a canopy tour.
- What do we need to wear or bring?
You should wear comfortable clothing and closed-toe footwear. Open sandals are not suitable as they will simply fall off. Shorts or long pants are fine but mini-skirts are not. Running shoes, takkies, and veldskoene are perfect and strap-on sandals will do. Don’t forget to bring your camera as there are many excellent photo opportunities along the way. And if it looks rainy we recommend you bring a raincoat and/or change of dry clothing.
- How safe is it?
All the Canopy Tours® have been designed and built by a qualified civil engineer. Each group is escorted by two guides with a lead guide and safety guide monitoring your progress at all times. Your safety is paramount and we have strict procedures in place to ensure that you are constantly connected to either the cable or the platform. We use full body harnesses and all our pulleys, carabineers and other equipment carry standard safety certification ratings. All that’s left for you to worry about is having a good time!
- How old or fit do I need to be?
Our brochures say that anyone between 7 and 70 is welcome on the canopy tour. However the current youngest and oldest client records stand with a 4 year old and an 85 year old! The Canopy Tour® is not very physically demanding and as long as you are able to walk out of the forest over uneven ground we will probably be able to provide you with the Canopy Tour® experience. Those who do not have the ability to regulate their speed on the slides will be able to go in tandem along each cable with one of our trained guides. If you have a medical condition or disability please enquire with our office staff before booking a tour.
- What if I’m scared of heights?
It is quite normal to be afraid of heights. Many of our clients arrive at the canopy tour a little nervous and are often quite anxious on the first slide. The experience may even be a bit scary. But for most of you by the end of the tour these fears will have disappeared and been replaced with an immensely rewarding sense of achievement. You can even take home your own Canopy Tour completion certificate if you need to prove it to your friends!
- What if I weigh 150kgs?
Then your nervous guide will probably suggest you take a short stroll around the forest instead. Our recommended weight limit is in fact 120kg.
Karkloof Rd, Howick, 3290, South Africa, Midlands, 3290
Karkloof Canopy Tours are situated 20kms north of Howick on the Karkloof Road. DO NOT use a GPS, it is not always accurate in our area and you could become lost. You are welcome to phone the office for further directions. The road is well marked, just follow the signs.
S 29° 19' 22.05" E 30° 15' 45.65"
Book this adventure now!
Select the date you want to have your adventure, to see availability and times for your booking.