Captain Of Your Own Holiday
Spoil yourself and spend a weekend surrounded by nature.
Knysna Houseboats offers fully equipped, self-drive houseboats to spend your holiday gently cruising along in Knysna’s (South Africa) beautiful and scenic tidal estuary. No experience or skipper’s license is required.
Our newly refurbished Houseboats, previously operated by Lightleys Holiday Houseboats, exceed all South African Maritime Safety Authority operational and safety requirements. They are your floating home away from home. We have outfitted them to a high specification, so it is truly a comfortable experience.
Our luxurious self-drive boats have everything you might need and are suitable for up to 4 adults or a family of 5.
The inside of the boats is fully equipped with:
· Fore-cabin with a double bed, storage space and bench seat that doubles as a child’s bed
· Fully fitted galley (kitchen) with stove, oven, electric fridge, sink and all kitchen utensils, crockery and cutlery
· Compact heads (bathroom) with a hot shower, chemical toilet and basin
· Comfortable inside dining area that simply converts into a double bed
· All necessary bedding
· Captains book
· Safety equipment, including life jackets, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
The outside exists of:
· Open lounge deck with a bimini
· Barbeque for the one that didn’t get away
· Roof top sundeck with plenty of space for all passengers to sun bath and enjoy the panoramic views
All you need is an adventurous spirit and a love for the outdoors and we’ll make you captain of your own holiday! Please note that no smoking is permitted inside the houseboats.
Look in Additional Reading for services and facilities.
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
Services and Facilities
Our new charter base is located in sophisticated Thesen Islands Harbour Town, where our staff are available for you between 8:30 am and 5 pm.
We offer all captains a short navigational course. Once you are fully informed and have a good understanding, we will provide you with a temporary skipper’s license. So don’t worry if you have never piloted a boat before, most of our customers haven’t either!
From our charter base, we offer the following additional services and facilities:
· Pilots that help you feel at ease and park your boat;
· Bathrooms with shower cabins and vanity (Hair dryers are also provided in the showers for women);
· Covered terrace overlooking the estuary where you can relax and have a drink;
· Renting of fishing rods and towable tubes;
Houseboat services that are carried out at a designated jetty and include the following:
· Fill up with fresh water
· Re-fuelling (if required)
· Cleaning and pumping of toilets
· Check motor cooling system and oil level
· Rubbish removal
· Re-supply LP Gas (if required)
Valet Boat Parking
In order for you to effortlessly enjoy going onshore, our staff will be available between sunrise and sunset to park your boat at one of our moorings. You just approach the jetty and we’ll take it from there!
Thesen Islands is a multi-award winning marina development located in the scenic Knysna estuary. It is within walking distance of the Waterfront, yacht harbour and town centre of Knysna, one of South Africa’s most picturesque and popular coastal towns.
We are located, just off the main street of Thesen Harbour Town, which is a popular meeting place for relaxed shopping or enjoying a meal in any of the several restaurants.
Room Service and Catering
For the true on-board holiday experience we provide our customers with an assorted catering menu, containing old time favourites such as delicious fresh oysters and champagne, beverages, cold platters and sushi. We even offer room service on the lagoon, so there is no need for you to leave your boat!
Being amidst some of the best restaurants the Garden Route has to offer, you can of course also cruise towards Thesen Harbour Town and go for breakfast, lunch or dinner in one of the area’s vibey eateries. Please enquire with our staff for more information and special offers.
Book a Day Trip
Be Captain for a day or let our pilot drive and moor you anywhere on the Knysna Lagoon and enjoy the experience of (self-)driving a fully equipped Knysna Houseboat from 10h00 till 16h30.
Knysna is a town in the heart of South Africa’s beautiful Garden Route and lies nestled in between the Outeniqua Mountains and the Indian Ocean, surrounded by a tidal scenic estuary. It has twice been voted South Africa’s favorite town, and with good reason. It’s a friendly, welcoming town with lots of attractions and activities on sunny and rainy days.
Your main activities exist of gently cruising along or finding a secluded spot on the lagoon, sun bathing on the deck or a beach, diving into the water, dozing in the afternoon sun with the sound of water lapping beneath you, bird watching and perhaps even fishing for your own dinner.
But you might also want to explore everything else Knysna and its surroundings have to offer:
· Beautiful beaches
· World class golf courses, such as Pezula and Simola
· The Knysna Elephant Park
· Hiking or mountain bike trails/forest walks with incredible sea views
· Ocean Safaris
· Horse riding
· Elephant walk
· Friday Supper Market
· Harkerville Saturday market
· Thesen Islands market on Sunday
· Cultural experiences, such as a township tour
· The Oyster festival in July
· Pink Loerie Mardi Grass in April/ May
· Gastronomica in September
Fear not: Even on a rainy day, the comfort of your Houseboat will make your holiday an unforgettable one. The inside dining area is ideal for some good old board games and reading in a peaceful setting away from urban distractions – not to mention rain drops.
Or you could join the rest of us onshore and go:
· Shopping in the interesting shopping venues of Knysna and nearby coastal town Plettenberg Bay
· Explore the 7 passes scenic drive to George
· Visit one of the award-winning health spas
· Beer tasting and take a tour at Mitchells Brewery
· Visit galleries and museums
· To the cinema
· To the gym
For the Kids
The kids will love the whole experience on the water! They can jump into the lagoon, catch some fish, go tubing behind the boat and enjoy the outdoors. On the shallow parts of the lagoon, the hermit crabs and inquisitive sea gulls will also keep the little ones interested for hours.
Onshore you could take the N2 towards Plettenberg Bay and find an entertaining waterpark for kids called “Adventure land Plett”. A few kilometres after you’ve passed Plett, you could also visit the Plett Puzzle Park, with a 3D maze and forest puzzle walk.
Aside from the obvious, we have a few suggestions of items which you should bring with you:
· From June to September be sure to pack warmer items for the cooler mornings and evenings. Days are normally warm, but a jacket/fleece will be needed for the sunset cruise or sundowners on the deck
· Swimming costumes & beach towels (can hire)
· Bath towels (can hire)
· Sun block, sun hat, sunglasses and lip balm
· Mosquito / insect repellent (Knysna is a malaria free area)
· Cameras and binoculars
· Snorkelling equipment and fishing gear (can hire)
· Bait (can be bought on Thesen Island)
We hope that this little checklist will assist you with your packing and we look forward to welcoming you for a memorable stay.
TH 34 Long street, First floor, Thesen Islands, 6570 Knysna, South Africa
No directions available
S 34° 2' 29.195'' E 23° 2' 41.161''
Book this adventure now!
1 Select the date you want to have your adventure.
2 Choose the activity and the time.
3 Pay to confirm your booking. You’ll receive a ticket voucher which you can redeem at the venue.
To filter the Adventure Activity you want to book, click on the ‘What’ button below and select the activity you want.