Captian of Your Own Holiday. Self Drive Houseboats
Accommodation at Vygeboom Dam, Badplaas. Houseboats, Houses and Camp Site. We have a Party Boat for functions and we do the OmmiDam Quad Bike Trail.
Our fleet consists of three self-drive houseboats that each cater for up to five people. We’ve personally equipped them with some of the best modern conveniences to ensure that your stay is comfortable and enjoyable.
In The CabinInside the front cabin is a double bed, bench seat and a single bed suitable for children. The dining area effortlessly converts into another double bed. The galley (kitchen) is equipped with a gas stove, fridge, sink and all essential cutlery and crockery. The compact heads (bathroom) consists of a hot shower, basin and chemical toilet. We provide all essential bed linen. In accordance with SAMSA regulations each houseboat is also equipped with the following: · Life Jackets · First Aid Kit · Fire Extinguisher · Bailing Bucket · Paddles
On The DeckThe exterior has an open lounge deck with a Bimini shade and gas braai. The ladder takes you up to the rooftop sundeck with plentiful space for sunbathing and enjoying the panoramic views of Vygeboom Dam. Please note that no smoking is permitted inside the houseboats, due to the use of the gas geyser. Smoking on the lounge deck is also prohibited because of the engine and fuel tanks.
Floating Cocktails Party BoatWhy not hire Floating Cocktails Party Boat as your party venue? The boat is equipped with tables, chairs, plates, crockery &cutlery. Self-catering bar equipped with fridge, ice buckets, bar utensils and glassware. Gas braai available on the upper-deck.
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
House Boat Accommodation, Self Catering Accommodation & Camping
Oppidam Houseboats is situated on the banks of the beautiful Vygeboom Dam in Mpumalanga. Known as the place where the sun rises, this unique getaway is situated conveniently close to Badplaas in the grassland and wetlands area. Definitely something you should be considering for your honeymoon, family holiday or team building event.
Houseboat holidays have become increasingly popular in South Africa and around the world. Imagine waking up to a different view every morning and watching the scenery change around you all day while sitting back and simply soaking up the sun.
And what better place to spend your leisurely days adrift than on the breath-taking Vygeboom Dam which is known for its many species of fish, abundant birdlife and varied surrounding landscapes.
Our houseboats were built in the Western Cape by Knysna Leisure Craft and have been approved by the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA). We have taken a great deal of care to transport these boats all the way to Vygeboom Dam and fitted them with high quality items to make sure they contain everything you might need.
What To Bring?
From May to September be sure to pack warmer items of clothing for the cold in the mornings and evenings. A fleece jacket will do for the sunset cruises. During the day it is usually warm.
· Swimming costumes and towels
· Remember your own bath towels
· The Lowveld sun can be rather unforgiving so don’t forget sun block, hats, sunglasses, etc.
· In summer months mosquitos can be bothersome so be sure to pack some insect repellent
· Camera’s and binoculars
· Fishing gear and bait
· Board games to keep busy in the case of unpleasant weather.
Oppidam offer two self-catering houses that are situated on the banks of Vygeboom Dam and are fully equipped.
One house can accommodate 12 people while the other house can accommodate 11 people.
Camping & Caravan
Oppidam have 23 waterfront campsites available to hire. Each campsite has electricity and braai facilities.
Oppidam also have two caravans available for hire. Each caravan is fully equipped for self-catering and first caravan sleeps 3 people while the second caravan sleeps 4 people.
House Boat Rates
R1500 per night (1 – 2 persons)
R175 per person per night per extra person (Maximum of 5 persons)
R1000 refundable security / breakage deposit
Rates are charged per night for the boat as per amount of persons sleeping per night.
· Open-Plan 2x Double Bed, 1x Single Bed (Maximum of 5 persons)
· Bathroom with Shower, Basin and Chemical Toilet
· Kitchen with Fridge, Gas Stove
· Portable Braai on Boat Deck
· Rate includes 20 L Fuel. (Additional fuel will be charged for on departure)
Self Catering Houses Rates
· R1500 per night (Sleeps up to 12 persons)
· 3x Bedrooms each with Double Bed
· 3x Double Bed Sleeper Couch in Lounge
· 2x Bathroom with Shower
· Kitchen with Fridge/Freezer, Gas Stove, Microwave, Tumble Dryer
· Outdoor Braai Area
· R1500 per night (Sleeps up to 11 persons)
· 1x Bedroom with Double Bed and Single Bed
· 2x Bedrooms with Double Bed
· 2x Double Bed Sleeper Couch in Lounge
· 1x Bathroom with Shower
· 1x Bathroom with Bath
· Kitchen with Fridge/Freezer, Gas Stove, Microwave, Dishwasher
· Washing Machine and Tumble Dryer
· Indoor and Outdoor Braai area
Things to do out on land
For some simply lounging on the boat all day is enough, but for others the trip won’t be complete without exploring the surrounding area. Here are a couple of options you might want to consider when settling foot on land:
· Forever Resorts Badplaas – Game drives, horse trails, paint ball, Rinkhals (tube rapids), super tube and speed slide, outdoor swimming pools (3 kiddies, 2 warm, 1 cold), tennis, volleyball, go carts, fufi slide.
· Please inform us a day in advance if you would like to visit the resort and we can make arrangements for entrance.
· Eco Quad Adventures – Quad bike trails in the Emanzana Nature Reserve inside the Forever Resorts.
· Ommidam Quad Adventures – Quad bike trails at Vygeboomdam.
· Badplaas Golf Course
· Cradle of Life Bio Park – The park offers game drives, a Big Cat Sanctuary and has a restaurant and bar on site.
· Kruger National Park – Malelane Gate 142km. Numbi Gate 152km
When it’s hot
On sunny days you’d probably spend most of your time on the houseboat doing some bird watching, fishing, sunbathing or simply admiring the view.
Many visitors to the dam come for the sole purpose of landing that big one. The dam is very popular among fishermen who enjoy the fact that it is the ideal water to catch carp, yellow fish, bass and kurper.
On rainy days
On rainy days you can curl up in your boat and watch DVD’s on the provided DVD player. It is also a fun time to enjoy some board games. Here are some things to do in the area when the weather is not favourable for outdoor activities:
Forever Resorts Badplaas – Hydro Spa – Four Indoor swimming pools. One hot, two warm and one cold. (No children under three)
Spa Treatments – Spa treatments can be enjoyed at Forever Resorts Badplaas Spa from 08:00 to 17:00 or at Dawsons Game Lodge Spa
Something for the kids
The kids will love the experience of being on the water. They can learn to fish, swim in the dam and learn more about life outdoors. At charter base they can rent a kayak or paddle boat. There’s lots of space to run around and play.
Services & Facilities
Boats leave from charter base at Kijat Club, Vygeboomdam. No boats are to leave the charter base after dark so if you arrive later than sunset the first night will be spent at charter base. There is also safe parking for your vehicles at charter base.
All captains should do a short compulsory navigational course. Once you are informed, a temporary skipper’s licence will be issued. Captains who already have a skippers licence will be exempt from the navigational course if they provide a copy of their valid skippers licence.
Don’t despair if you have never piloted a boat before as most of our clients are new to it when they arrive.
We rent out kayaks and peddle boats to keep you entertained while your houseboat is serviced.
Our friendly staffs are available for you daily from 09:00 am to 11:00 am to service the boat. Servicing of the houseboat includes the following:
· Fresh water refill
· Refuelling (if required)
· Cleaning of toilet
· Rubbish Removal
· Cleaning of Gas Braai
· Re-supply of LP Gas (if required)
· Checking motor cooling system and oil level
Vygeboom Dam, 1190 Badplaas, South Africa
No directions available
S 25° 52' 15.744'' E 30° 36' 25.386''