To Experience Relaxing or Exciting Routes and Tracks
During the holiday season, guided rides are organised almost every day. Skills parks are the ideal place to improve your skills and have some fun.
Resort TrailsMountain Splendour has purpose built single track around the property suitable for riders of all ages and competency levels. Each year, Iain adds to the track and his team hand cuts the trails. Currently the resort trail is marked out as an easy 5km trail (the red route) and a more technical 10km intermediate trail (the blue route). The entire trail is built on the resorts property and is therefore completely safe for ladies to run/ride on their own.
Guided ToursDuring the holiday season, guided rides are organised almost every day. The rides are aimed at intermediate riders and usually last between 2 and 2 ½ hours. Longer and more technical rides can be organised in addition to these rides if we have sufficient interest from guests and our guides are available. Family rides around the property on the resorts trails are organised for kids and families during holiday period and stick to the 5km loop on the property.
From 158 to 460
The guided tours are between 2 to 2 and a half hours long.
All participants are welcome. It is an amazing experience for families.
Guided tours are free for guests staying at the resort.
Bring exercise clothes or comfortable clothes to ride in and in winter bring warm clothes.
Its okay not to cycle there are amazing views or places where you can make yourself comfortable and relax.
Make bookings preferable to ensure you have accommodation
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
Iain and Su are both accomplished multi-sports athletes who are eager to share their experiences and training ground with others. We have awesome trails on the property and into local areas to ride or run, fresh clean air to breath and hills to make your legs and lungs burn!
We are able to provide a venue and support services for your own training camp or tailor make one to your specifications. Camps can range from affordable (with guests providing their own tents and self-catering) to the luxurious – where we take care of everything.
Mountain Splendour is able to cater for non-training family members and offer a programme to keep the kids busy and happy while the parents are off training. This means that mums and dads get the chance to train together or one parent gets to do some serious training “guilt free” knowing that their family is having just as much fun as they are!
So if you belong to a sports team or club, are between the age of 9 and ninety then Mountain Splendour Eco-Resort is the place for you to come and train.
Comrades runner Prodigal Khumalo headed to Mountain Splendour along with Eric Ngubane to spend 3 weeks training ahead of the 2015 Comrades Marathon. Iain took them out on all his favourite trails and when they decided they had to do a long road run Iain (not a fan of tar) seconded them to Bergville and back. At the end of the 3 weeks Gunda, Rosie and Snowy were sad to see their new training partners leave!
In December 2013 Mountain Splendour hosted Coach Russ White and a group of his athletes for a base training camp. Apart from long rides into the neighbouring tribal areas led by Mountain Splendour’s development athlete Sanele. In addition to riding their bikes the athletes tube down the river and hiked up into the mountains.
Eight excited 7 year olds descended on Mountain Splendour for a tennis and cricket camp at the beginning of December. When the sun shone they played tennis and when the courts were wet they had cricket coaching. The boys loved the camping experience and the combination of a midnight feast and a 5am wake-up left their coach looking for a Red Bull by lunch time of day two!
Elite trail running Landie Greyling headed to Mountain Splendour to do some high altitude training ahead of the world ultra trail running champs in Wales in 2013. Su and Landie had an awesome 5 days of running the mountains and trails around the resort.
Mountain Splendour Mania
The 2016 Mountain Splendour Mania will take place over the weekend of the 9th to the 11th of September. Bookings are open for camping/caravanning sites and our self-catering units.
Have you booked your spot for the 2015 Mountain Splendour Mania? The Mountain Splendour Mania is a weekend of active fun for the whole family at Mountain Splendour. Night rides, trail runs and various MTB events are on offer. The event is taking place from the 18th to the 20th of September 2015 NOTE NEW DATES! Bookings are open for accommodation so contact Kerry in the office to secure your spot!
Even if you don’t have your own camping gear – we can help out. Tents (fully equipped for self-catering or just a tent). Camping and joining in the fun at Mountain Splendour is the best way to experience Mountain Splendour Mania.
Mountain Splendour Mania was first held in 2005 and offered guests a weekend of challenging and fun racing. The event consisted of an off-road trail run, mountain bike combination on the Saturday and Mountain Biking on the Sunday. In response to race feedback, Iain adapted and changed the Mania event to include a number of different events including MTB lap racing and a night ride. In 2011, after an absence of trail runs from the Mania weekend, two runs were reintroduced to Saturday’s programme.
From a small start in 2005, Iain was delighted to have his 45km ride awarded Super Classic status in 2011. In 2012 the Mountain Biking events were included in the first ever ROAG MTB Series. The 2013 event has once again been included in the ROAG MTB Series (an indication of its popularity amongst Mountain Bikers). Most prime sites have already been booked out, so contact the office to secure a site if you haven’t already done so!
The Bike Shop
Mountain Splendour Cycles
Mountain Splendour boasts the only bike shop in the Central Drakensburg and is able to offer guests at the resort and in the valley bike services and minor repairs.
From small beginnings (Iain, a tool box and Sunday afternoons on our veranda) our shop has grown tremendously and in 2012 a dedicated workshop was built and a full time bike mechanic employed. In 2016 Jiri joined our team to offer ongoing training to our bike mechanic and take over the management of the shop.
The shop is well stocked with all the basic necessities for 26, 27 and a half inch bikes and 29 inch bikes, a few “luxuries” a lot of “gadgets” and has a selection of kiddies and adult bikes for sale. Mountain Splendour Cycles stocks Giant bikes, Ryder, Lezyne spares and accessories, a range of First Ascent trail running and Mountain Biking apparel, North Face apparel, Enduren sports nutrition products, Camel packs, Ultra Spire, various helmets, Shimano shoes and so much more…..
Mountain Splendour Cycles currently has 17 bikes that can be hired by our guests. All bikes are 27and a half inch, with front shocks and are hired with a helmet. The bikes have flat peddles (suitable for takkies) so bring along your own pedals if you wish to cleat in.
Team Mountain Splendour
Proudly Sponsored By Enduren
After competing and racing for a number of sponsors, Iain soon realised the marketing value of branding himself. An accomplished trail runner and multi-sport athlete, Iain is able to promote Mountain Splendour Eco-Resort as a wonderful training ground. And, so in 2009 Team Mountain Splendour was formed and on their first outing, Iain and wife Su were second in the Imana Wild Ride. Since then Iain, Su, Abigael and Joshua have competed in numerous events as “Mountain Splendour”.
In 2011 two of Mountain Splendour’s staff members showed an interest in competing and training. Sanele Shabalala and Nkosi (Lucky) Dladla joined the team and with support in the form of MTB bikes, kit and running shoes and the covering of race related expenses Sanele and Lucky were able to attend a number of events. This was just the start of the development team and since then Mountain Splendour Eco-Resort has provided support to a number of employees to participate in mountain biking, road running and trail running events.
In 2015 the Mountain Splendour Team was expanded to include athletes who were not part of the resort staff. The members of the team train hard and are competitive at events but being the “best” is not the criteria for selection.
Race Reports and Results
· The Northern Drakensburg Trail 2016 – doubled up as the SA Long Distance Trail Champs and both Su and Iain secured spots in the SA Trail Team to compete in Slovenia.
· Three Cranes Challenge 2016 – Su took 3 days off from being a mum and headed to the Natal Midlands for the 3 days of trail running bliss.
· The Coastal Challenge 2016 – being the defending champion always adds to the pressure. Iain successfully defended his title and his lead after 5 days meant that he was able to experience the race with a GoPro on day 6.
· Les Templiers 2015 – Iain and Su travelled to France as part of a South African invitational team to tackle a 75km trail run in the French Pyrennes.
· Mont-aux-Sources 2015 – Iain, Su, Sanele Xaba and Petros Hlongwane headed to the snowy northern berg for the 50km Wild Series Challenge.
· Rhodes Run 2015 – there is definitely something special about the little dorpie Rhodes! The North Face South Africa invited Petros Hlongwane to join Iain and Su for the breathtaking Rhodes Trail Run. Petros received a generous box of goodies from the North Face to ensure that he was well equipped for race.
· The Coastal Challenge 2015 – Iain was invited to participate in a 6 day stage trail run in Costa Rica. Not sure of what to expect he was able to start 2015 with a major win in the bag and some awesome sight seeing.
· Sky Run 2014 – Iain took 30 minutes of the existing record (held by Ryan Sandes) and narrowly missed breaking the 12 hour mark. An epic win!
· Mweni Trail Run 2014 – Up Mweni – jump over the source of the Orange River – down Rockeries. A trail run with the most amazing scenery in the Drakensburg. Iain won the men’s race, smashing the existing course record. Su was second in the ladies race and also well inside the previous race record.
· Molweni Trail Run 2014 – What an amazing trail. Who would have thought that such wonderful trails and large mountains were to be found in Durban. Su won the inaugural event while Iain stayed home to ensure happy guests and happy children over the busy long weekend.
· Ingeli Forest Run 2014 – An awesome day out for the Don-Wauchope family. Su won the 38km ladies race, Iain (back racing after injury) easily won the 20km race, Abigael completed the 5km fun trail and Josh jumped up a storm on the jumping castle in the kiddies zone.
· African X 2014 – Su joined up with The North Face Team mate Robin Kime for 3 days of running around the glorious Cape. The ladies pair finished up 2nd overall.
· Sky Run 2013 – The Sky Run is one of the Don-Wauchope’s favourite events on the calendar. Both Iain and Su love the Sky Run for the beauty of the scenery, the tough course and the community who host it. This year was an epic adventure with adverse weather conditions resulting in the race being stopped. The race positions at the time the race organisers called the race off were the official finishing positions and Iain secured yet another Sky Run title and his first encounter with hyperthermia. Su finished second (again)!
· Rhodes Run 2013 – Su and Iain had an awesome run at the 2013 Rhodes Run. The milder weather in the little Hamlet of Rhodes resulted in fast racing times! Iain won the men’s event and broke the record. Su scampered up Mavis Bank shattering the ladies Queen of the Mountain record by 8 minutes and finished in second place (still inside the race record). No snowman building for Abigael and Joshua this year!
· Southern Cross Trail Run (SOX) 2013 – a race with beautiful trails, km’s of single track and spectacular single track. Su joined up with Landie Greyling and together the two of them dominated the ladies race from start to finish.
· African X 2013 – the pressure was on Iain and Su as two-time defending mixed champions of the African X 3 day stage trail run. They were unable to make it three in a row and were beaten by another husband and wife team into second place.
· Hermansberg Mudman – 4 February 2012 The Mudman events are a series of off-road triathlons that can be tacked by teams or individuals. The events consist of a 750m open water swim, a 20km mountain bike and a 5km trail run. At the first event of the series, Iain and Su both entered as individuals with Sanele and Lucky teaming up with a swimmer at the event to enter the team event.
Unfortunately, the female swimmer for the team event left the Mountain Splendour team someway behind their main rivals (a development team from the Russell White Academy). Sanele rode well to minimise the deficit and after a hard run by Lucky, Team Mountain Splendour finished only a minute behind the first team. Su managed to secure victory in the ladies event.
A good start for the Mountain Splendour athletes for 2012.
· Sky Run -12 November 2011 The 100km athletes traverse across the escarpment between Lady Grey and Wartrail Country Club is best described as a journey, not a race. After two victories by Iain, Su was keen to finish on the podium in her first event. Iain, battling with an Achilles injury, was unable to compete and took responsibility for Abigael and Joshua for the 21 odd hours it took mum to complete the event. Su finished the event in 2 place and with the 3rd group of finishes (in joint 5th place overall).
· Berg ‘n Bush – November 2011 Racing in the colours of title sponsor FedGroup, Team Mountain Splendour’s Iain and Su finished a close second in the mixed category. Three days of hard racing in “our back yard”…..