Enjoy the outdoors!
Discover the unique beauty of this mountain range in the Klein Karoo and allow nature to refresh mind, body and soul.
Mountain Pastures, nestled in the De Hoop valley between the Kouga and Honniball mountains, is situated next to the popular R62 route, 18 kilometers from Uniondale. It is on the doorstep of the famous Baviaanskloof World Heritage Site as well as a wide range of popular tourist destinations in a region rich in history and culture. Or just relax and enjoy a crisp morning game drive with the beauty of the rising African sun as a backdrop. Catch a bass while being watched by our inquisitive Eland, Zebra, Springbuck or even see our (almost extinct) Blue Cranes raising their young, while the Black Eagles soar overhead. In the afternoon, take a trip to see the majestic Buffalo, elusive Lynx or, if you are really fortunate, the scarcely seen, phantom-like Leopard. The more energetic may be tempted to explore the mountains on foot or horseback from where the huge variety of fynbos can be appreciated and a possible encounter with some of the smaller members of the Bush family will add to a very special and holistic bush experience. Come and discover the beauty and serenity of this pristine wilderness area while enjoying the comfort of our well-appointed catered-for chalets or the self-catering San Valley Lodge. After a hard day of sightseeing, game viewing and relaxing, you will be treated to a delicious meal, prepared the traditional South African way (real “Boerekos”).
Click to See Additional Info on this Adventure
Get closer to nature on foot and discover the peace and tranquility of this unspoiled mountain area.
Choose from gentle strolls, taking in the exceptional beauty of the indigenous flora and fauna, to challenging trails discovering desolated “murasies” and secluded rock pools in isolated valleys higher in the mountain ranges.
For the more adventurous, a guided excursion on horse-back is always a very special experience.
The more seasoned horsemen may even want to track down the herd of buffalo in the game camp!
We can take a maximum of 2 guests at a time on horses.
Conference Venue, Uniondale
Our small conference venue can provide facilities for up to 30 delegates at a single conference or gathering.
We can accommodate 23 of your delegates (sharing) at Mountain Pastures and San Valley and for the remainder, we will arrange alternative accommodation within the area.
The beauty and quiet of our area make Mountain Pastures an ideal location for an “away-from-it-all” conference, a teambuilding exercise or a “Bosberaad”.
Consider it also for confidential executive meetings or interviews.
Mountain Pastures has three dams which are available for Black Bass fishing on a catch and release basis. (No day visitors allowed, our dams are for guests only).
Join us in our 4×4 vehicle for day or night game drives. Enjoy incredible mountain views and a large variety of game and bird species.
BMW Rider Academy at Mountain Pastures Game Lodge & Uniondale Accommodation
1. What do you need to bring?
• Your motorcycle and helmet.
• A full tank of petrol. Please ensure that you fill up in Avontuur (the closest petrol station) before doing the last 15-odd kilometers to Mountain Pastures, as there is no fuel at the game reserve itself.
• Good protective clothing. Good riding boots are strongly recommended.
• A tyre pressure gauge is optional.
• Knobbly tires are not essential, but we highly recommend them as they do make a big difference.
• Odds and ends such as a cap or hat, because you will be taking off your helmet from time to time, a chamois or cloth to wipe the dust off your visor, sun screen, and lip balm.
• Dress code is very informal in the evenings.
2. Please call us if you’re running late
We tend to worry when participants do not arrive on time. Please have the courtesy to call us, should you be running late: We will be standing by to help, so simply call us on cellular 083 251 5293 (Dave Hodgson), 083 669 7283 (Jan du Toit) or 082 449 8081 (Deon Meyer).
What is it going to cost? Please inquire for prices.
3. How to reserve your place
Please contact us regarding payment.
To ensure fairness, we work on the principle of first pay, first booked. Your place is assured only when you have paid the full attendance fee.
4. How do I get to Mountain Pastures Game Lodge?
• Mountain Pastures is very easy to find. These directions will get you there easily:
• Ride to the tiny town of Avontuur on the R62. (Avontuur is about 12 km south of Uniondale).
• Take the R62 east (towards P.E.) for 500 m (0.5 km), then turn left on the R339 (towards Uniondale).
• After 2.5 km, you will see the gravel road turn off on your right (east). The road sign says, De Hoop. Take this turn-off.
• 9 km out on this road, you will see the stone gate of Mountain Pastures.
5. When does it start – and what can I expect from the programme?
Leave the city behind to arrive any time from 08:00, but no later than 10:30. Luxurious rooms provide comfortable single or shared accommodation.
Early rise and rearing to go. Your introduction to the physical rules and disciplines of motorcycle control and balance. Practice your new-found knowledge and experience real off-road environments and conditions. When the sun sets to join the rest on the veranda and share stories of the day.
We continue to increase your off-road skills with a gentle ride along a scenic route. Then, before leaving for home after brunch, you will receive your Certificate of Competence from the BMW Academy.
6. Administrative stuff
• An official receipt of payment is available, and we will have yours at the course. Should you need it earlier, please e-mail us with your postal address
• You will be requested to sign an indemnity form before participating in the course.
• You are kindly requested to vacate your room before 11:00 on Sunday.
7. Course Dates 2011
Dates to be announced – Please enquire.
That’s it! We look forward to welcoming you at Mountain Pastures soon!
Get your blood circulating with a game of tennis on our courts while you stay with us.
Our Karoo night skies are so clear and free from air and light pollution that visitors from the city are astonished at the sight of the heavens, something many of them have never before seen in such detail.
No-one is unaffected by the experience. This truly is a place where you are humbled and reminded of the wonder and diversity of God’s creation.
Mountain Pastures Accommodation
Mountain Pastures offers a choice of two types of accommodation: fully catered at the Mountain Pastures Chalets or self-catering at San Valley Farmhouse.
(Please take note: Fully Catered option subject to a minimum accommodation charge as per “Rates”)
Mountain Pastures 2 bedroom chalet
This fully catered chalet consists of a reception area with built-in fireplace, two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a private stoep.
All bedding and towels are provided.
Mountain Pastures 1 bedroom chalets
Mountain Pastures additionally offers five fully catered one bedroom chalets.
Each chalet consists of a reception area with built-in fireplace, one bedroom, and a stoep.
When necessary, the reception area can sleep an additional two people.
All bedding and towels are provided.
Self Catering at San Valley Lodge
If you prefer to take the self-catering option Cape Dutch style San Valley Lodge can accommodate groups of up to 10 people (with a minimum of 2 people).
There are 5 en-suite bedrooms, a lounge and TV room with built-in fire places and an open plan dining room as well as a fully equipped kitchen.
There is also a stoep with a braai area.
San Valley Lodge also has a tennis court (lighting provided at an additional cost of R50.00 per hour).
All bedding and towels are provided.